Thursday, June 30, 2005

1/2 works for me

So one of the reasons I am not perservering at 2/4 is because I am in escrow for my first home and would like some extra income, which I am simply not getting at 2/4. So far 2/4 has been a big loser for me (-8bb/100hands). Yet 1/2 remains a consistent winner. Last night I played for about 2hrs and won $450 after being down $150 in the first 15 minutes (my AKs ran into trips). That is crazy good money for that level and I just cant pass it up right now. Truth is I will be happy to avg. $600 a week at that level; average being the key. I'll hopefully be moving into my new home mid August so it would be nice to have a few extra thousand behind me when I do.

Some (well actually many) people would consider me crazy because I bought a home outside my financial means. Why? Well I am counting on a steady monthly income from poker to help me out. Yep, thats where people would consider me crazy. But the way I look at it is, I only need about $600 a month from poker and I will be fine. If I withdrew $1k a month then I will be more than fine. Playing at 1/2 I expect to make $2400 a month so in my estimation I am not relying on an income from it beyond my means. Thus even with bad months my good months should more than carry me. If I ever get successful at the 2/4 level then I will have no concerns at all as there is plenty of money to be made there.

So last night...how did I make my money? Well I played aggressive as I tend to do at 1/2 now as the money just seems so much smaller after being at 2/4 for a while. I am able to let loose a lot easier. For example when I lost early with AKs it didnt bother me even though I got him all-in with only TPTK. I recovered some a bit later w/99 which I raised a bunch of limpers up to $10 with about 3 callers. Flop came QQ3 and I bet $40 and I was raised $40 more by one opponent which put him all-in. I figured I may be behind but I will call. Last two streets helped neither of us and his 55 was no good, HA!

Another hand I limped from EP with 55 and a LP person raised to $10; I was the only caller. Flop came 56Q and I checked and he bet $12, which I raised $12. He then raised my bet $12 and I paused to show hesitation and merely called. Turn brought an Ace and I checked and he bet about $70 which didnt leave him much left so I pushed in and he called. River was another 6 and he showed AQ for the losing hand.

The other big hand of the night I had 89s and raised to $6 from LP and the BB was the only caller. Flop came 865 (65 were diamonds), giving me TP with a flush draw and a gutshot straight. He checked and I didnt want to appear too strong so bet $8 which he called. The turn was a Jh. He checked and I wasnt going to slow down so I bet $20 which he called. River was the 2d and he went all-in for $150 (huge overbet). I of course have the flush but a very low one. I cannot fold the hand scared of a higher flush so I call and he shows 34o for a straight. BAHAHAHA!

Obviously a good night and a nice comeback to help relieve some of my losses this week. I am still down about $550 for the week, so if I manage to make that back I will be very happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home