Thursday, September 01, 2005

Teaching my roomie the ropes

After going out to dinner with my ex and her friend, we all went to IKEA and I bought my dining room table and chairs and a bookcase, I got home around 8ish.

Around 8:45 I sit down to play an hr of poker and my roomie comes into my room with a magazine and plunks down on my bed. I tell her she isnt going to learn poker sitting there so she goes grabs a chair and we settle in for me to begin her initial learning session. I typically think "trying to teach someone means I will lose big time". Thankfully that wasnt the case and I ended up booking a $285 win for only an hr's play!

One hand I had AJ and limped into a 6 way pot from LP. Flop was 347 (2 diamonds) and everyone checks. Turn is a Js and I bet $8, CO sole caller. River is another 7 and there are no flushes. At this point I was debating what to bet as I felt my opponent didnt have much so I went weakish and bet $12 hoping for a call, instead the CO raised me to $60!! Now I had to think...did he have a set of 7's? He wouldnt check the flop in last position w/top pair. He doesnt have a flush. He could have a straight but that would be a very funky way to play it - but possible. Did he slowplay a set on the flop...doubtful, he would've raised me on the turn. Much more likely he has something like KJ and smelt weakness. Ultimately I was trying to represent weakness on the river bet, he smelt it and decided to steal. But people if you are going to steal, bet the amount that you would if you do have the best hand, in this case I say a $36 bet looks good. His huge raise screamed to me that he didnt have much and was trying to force me off the hand. I did not believe he had slowplayed a monster or caught river trip sevens and was certainly willing to pay if he had. So as I said to my roomie at the time "I dont believe him" and called. CO had A3o!

I won an AQs hand that I raised to $10 PF with one blind calling. Flop was all low 2 hearts and the blind made a weakish bet of about $9 which I raised to $30, he called. Turn was an A and he checked. At this point that Ace could get me in trouble if he has trips so I decided to not overplay the turn and bet the small amount of $25. The blind thought for a long time and eventually folded. I have to assume he had a middle pair 99-QQ.

Another hand I had AA from LP and raised a couple of limpers to $15 and got 4 callers! Flop was 3s4sJd and two checked to me and I bet $40 and the button was the sole caller. Turn was not a spade nor scary and I honestly felt he hadnt tripped up and was willing to put my money where my thoughts were and pushed in, button folded. Why did I feel he hadnt tripped up? For one he was the first caller of my flop bet and only a real loose player would call me w/33 or 44 for that price but JJ definitely would. Also though with four of us in the flop and a 2 to a flush out there I would expect him to raise to price out any of the other two trying to draw. With the two early position players folding I felt confident enough my hand was the best and priced him out seeing the river with my push. Guess I was right this time.

So thus ended a very profitable one hour session and only further cemented my roomies desire to start learning and playing poker...another person to join the fold, hehe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home