Friday, June 10, 2005

Having fun at 1/2

So I am back at 1/2 and grinding away for the week trying to win back what I lost at 2/4. I am trying a new strategy I saw at the 2/4 level which I liked. It is basically tight and very aggressive. It works well but you have to have the sense to fold to any playback or slow down if you arent super strong. Basically with any good starting hand I raise to 6xbb. No matter what hits on the flop I bet pot. So Usually this is a $12 bet followed by a $26 bet regardless of the flop. Thus on a bad night I could imagine dropping a buy-in pretty easy. The thing is people really need a strong PF hand and to hit the flop to play against you. Draws never get the odds to play on the flop. It also disguises your hand completely. You bet the same PF and flop everytime and they dont know how strong you are so they simply play their cards. And as is the case more often than not people miss the flop along with me but I take it down with my aggression. I tried it out on Weds. and it worked well and I got to +$200 and decided to continue to play as I was having fun and wanted to see how the new system worked. As I noted when people hit you can lose a little bit if it happens in a row, So I ended the night $70 up. One thing I am learning is not to follow-up a turn card with a pot bet if I am not strong. Also with more than one PF caller if I miss I can bet strong just dont bet pot.

I played again last night using the same system and made $200 in my first hour or so, so I quit and too a break. In my 2nd hour I also made a $200 profit so I was rather happy with my night. The good thing about this system is when you have a hand because of the way you play if someone does playback I dont need to bet strategically to maximize the pot, because they already expect me to do that anyway.

My first session big win came from this hand...

I had QQ in EP and raise to $12 w/ one caller.
Flop was 753 (2 clubs) and I bet pot and he called.
Turn was low again and I bet pot again which was approx. $75 and he called. At this point I am worried about trips. River is the third club which gives me a legitimate reason to slow it down and I check. He pushes in, its possible I am still the best and I dont put him on a flush and the pot is huge so I call. He has 66 and I win. Funnily enough he berated me for pushing so hard with TP, I wonder what that says about his play?

My double up in the second hand was helped with my image and came like so...

UTG+1 bets $7 and I call w/AcQc, flop is 9x9c5c.
UTG+1 checks and I bet pot $16, he raises me to $40, I pause knowing I am behind but with outs and call.
Turn is 6c (Jackpot!) and he bets $85. I would have $75 left if I called this (he has me covered) so I decided to push and he called w/KcKh. River was a 5 and I took the pot :-)
He needed to raise more than he did on the flop and less than he did on the turn.

With those two wins I only have to make another $400 this week to break even. I will finish out this week at 1/2 and try 2/4 again next week.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home