Monday, September 19, 2005

$20K

Several things happened in my poker world last week. First I was losing a lot midweek and by Friday was down $450. I decided over Sat. and Sun. I was going to devote the days to working it back. By Sunday evening I was $600 up and I must say very happy. Not only did I turn around my losing week but it meant I hit the magical $20k mark. My current BR is $20,100. Thus as of tonight I will testing myself at the $2/4 NL level - scary and exciting at the same time. Last time I tried it I got screwed over multiple times and really had my ass handed to me. This humbling time helped me refine and define my playing style and I feel a lot better with it and its strengths, yielding consistent results week in and week out. Now of course the real test is to try it out at the new level. Its going to take me some time getting my head around betting double the amount and not being worried about losing what I bet when semi bluffing. If I stick to my plan nothing much can go wrong (besides suckouts and bad beats!!).

A couple of hands I recall from the weekend...

I had AJs and limped in a friendly pot, flop QT9 two of my suit giving me the straight and flush draw. MP bet $6, I raised to $12, button called and MP pushed for another $67 (button also had $67 left). This defined MP's hand for me, I put him on either KJ or trips. I didnt care, I was calling it and hoping button did too to give me even better pot odds...button called. Turn was a low spade and river paired the T. MP had KJ, button had Q9 and I had the flush. MP went on standard whine mode...was a nice $150 profit pot for me.

Last night in my final session I had AKc on the button and raised two limpers to $12, BB and one limper called. Flop was 866 two clubs. BB lead out for $8 (limper folded) and I raised to $30, BB called. Turn was a low club and BB bet $45...at this point I truly hoped BB didnt have a boat because I was going the whole way with the hand now, so assuming he didnt how best to play it... I paused for quite a while trying to give off that I had AA with the Ace of clubs and eventually called. River was a nothing card and BB bet the exact amount I had left $107.50, a bet designed to look suspect in its cockiness (ie trying to come across as a bluff IMO) and I insta-called. What did BB have?? Q4c. Serves the bastard right for calling $12 with that shite!

I will repeat though I HATE FLUSHES!!! I lost many many pots to them and I just hate them in general as this is the one hand fishes love to chase and 1 in 3 catch. On Sunday I had trips on the flop 4 times, 2 times I had zero action and the two others I had to fold, one to an obvious flush catch and one to a four ard flush board. Trips are your moneymakers, so I hate to catch four of them and lose money on it! I also saw last night the same person get Quads twice in a row, big payoff on first one (9's) and smallish on the second (T's) - very nice.

Also won a couple of big pots when opponents tried to represent the hand I had when they had junk - I love when that happens!

Thats about it...now I really hope I can just get off to a good solid winning week at the new level...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home