Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Disciplined Folds and Bigger Raises

Just cant get it going this week. I win a bit then I lose a bit. It "feels" like I have been scoring like that for weeks.

I feel there are two major problems with my game right now. Problem 1: I am not raising with my strong hands or not raising them enough. Problem 2: Compounding on that error, if the card my opponent needs hits on the river I am not being disciplined enough to fold. I have a prime example from last night.

5 handed I raise a limper OTB to $20 w/AKo

Flop comes AA9 and I make my standard 3/4 cont. bet which he calls. Flop is a 4 and he bets out $45 and I only raise it to $125 (initially I typed in $160). In hindsight I think I need to raise it 4x his bet to $180. It will define his hand much better and charge him to draw from behind. There is also now two spades on the board. The river is the 5 of spades and he insta pushes and I insta called.

I hated my call as soon as I pressed the button. Besides to a donk I cannot be ahead in the hand anymore. If he doesnt have the boat he most assuredly has the rivered flush. He ended up having A5o. Quite simply I didnt protect my hand enough on the turn and charge him to draw to his 3 outs. The pot on the turn was about $110 and he bet $45. I think I have 2 options there, either 4x his bet ot pot it. 4x = $180, pot = $245. Either bet pretty much commits me to the hand so perhaps the $245 is best so its makes the river call automatic no matter what hits.

Anyway I need to ramp up my aggression when I have a strong hand that can be beaten and understand when to fold even if my hand is great. Every fold I havent made recently that I should've, would've saved me approx. $1k. That $1k saved is just the same as $1k won.

Another site I have recently joined is choco-block filled with fish. These donks are massive calling stations and loose maniacs. I wasnt quick enough to adjust to their style and it has cost me money. I think it plays a lot like party. Thus going forward I will be playing a much tighter game and when hitting a hand betting it aggressively.

Example: guy limps I raise to $20, flop 249 he checks I bet $35 he calls. Its checked down and he has QTo!!! Unfortunately I had T8s, DOH!

This type of play above is rampant - there is some serious money to be won there. I need to stop donating and start taking. BRING IT!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home