Tuesday, July 19, 2005

So far so good

So I am back to playing my more controlled and disciplined game (ie. tight) and it worked out. I did play one hand terribly weak tight though. I took my tightness a little too far (or short as the case may be). It was a terrible fold and I am ashamed to post it but I will for lessons sake.
I had AK from CO and called a $6 LP bet as did an EP limper. Flop came A62 (2 spades) and LP guy bet $6 which I raised to $18, only he called. Turn was a Q and he led out with a $20 bet. At this point my brain linked his $6 PF bet with AQ and I thought I had been screwed over but I called anyway. The River was a 2 and he bet $35 into a $94 pot. All I could think was the guy got his two pair with AQ and I deliberated and finally folded. What I failed to think about was if he had AQ either he would've check-raised me on the turn or bet a lot more on the river. If he was value betting I would think it would still be at least $55. Like a fricken tool I folded to a measley $35 bet with AK -- he showed AJ. Ah well, poker is one big lesson and I wont make that fold again.
Anyway I made $200 last night for about 3.5hrs play so I was happy. No memorable hand apart from the one above. I was finally on the right side of an AA vs. KK hand. I had raised a couple of limpers to $12 from LP w/AA, Sb called as did 2 others. Flop I think was all low and the SB pushed in his remaining $40ish dollars and I was the only caller. He had the KK. I imagine he would've check raised me if no one else had called PF.
If anyone actually read my blog I would pose this question. If you are dealt AA or KK UTG or UTG+1 do you think 4xBB is a big enough raise? Note: I now consider it a rule to not play them tricky from there, so 4xBB is my standard. But seriously is it enough? If an EP player calls it there is more of a chance other players will call too diminishing my hands value. Yet if I raise to 5xBB or more I may not get any caller at all. At this poin I will stick with the 4xBB raise which I also do with JJ/QQ & AK from the same position.

Oh I thought it was funny that yet again last night I had JJ UTG and riased to $8 and a LP player raised all-in $160. This has happened to me a LOT!! w/JJ or QQ in the last week. Lets assume my opponent has AA, KK or AK; is the all-in bet a good move against a prior raise of anywhere between 4-7xBB raise? Obviously if they have KK or AK they run the risk of being called by AA/KK and if they have AA arent they losing money by forcing me out? I think the better thing to do would be either call and let him be the aggressor or raise to 3 times his PF bet and assuming he calls push hard on the flop. I would think you will more money in the long way playing like that. Other scenario is the guy is on a bluff and also runs the risk of being called by AA/KK. Perfect example happened around 2 weeks ago when I raised a bunch of limpers to $15 with AA and the SB big stack raised me to $150. I pushed and he was pot committed to call with his KK.

Tonight I will gym, play some poker and then go practice some golf. Later all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home