Tuesday, May 09, 2006

A Total Revamp

Long time, no write!

I havent been posting as I got dispirited with the state of my game, got bored playing and wasnt enjoying the game. I was still making money but not a hell of a lot and it was full of rollercoaster swings. I didnt know what to do but I knew I needed to do something. I cam across a site that for a fee was teaching people a style of poker and how to accomplish it. I said WTF, I need something and joined. WOW!! Boy did they open my eyes and boost my game to a whole new level. Before this site, without even realizing it, I was a chump. I now have a much greater understanding of the game and how to play it profitably and in a fun way.

Bascially the knew style is to play short handed tables, ie. 6 people or less, in a loose aggressive (LAG) style based on the power of position. Being short handed tables the action comes thick and fast and you are making big bets with by no means nut hands. You have to make a lot more marginal decisions, good reads and bold bluffs. Its not as hard as it sounds if you play it strong and smart. The variance is a little more swingy, but the wins come larger and faster.

The variety of hands I play from position allows me to make some disguised hands that you would never have seen me playing at a full table prior this revealtion. It is truly fun to make a straight flush with J8s against an Ace high flush :-)

So far the money is coming in thick and fast and I am ahead of target to make my $50k year mark. I wouldnt be surpised if I surpass that by a fair chunk. Too early to tell but the road ahead looks clear.

Now lets talk about the downside. I can DEFINITELY see when I have a bad week or two losing about $3k in a week. Its going to happen sooner or later and somehow I am going to have to be ready to deal with it. Hopefully by the time that happens I have numerous big weeks behind me. In just the short time I have been playing this LAG style I have had 3 seperate sessions where I lost $800 each. Fortunately in a different session of each day I made it back. Wont be like that all the time and I dont look forward to the week it all goes to hell...ah well, that is poker and that is a part of my mentality I am working on --> dealing with the donwswings.

Ending on a good note, I am loving this new style, the money coming in and enjoying the game. A positive side effect of the increased cashflow is the confidence has overflowed into my regular life. I feel more confident and happy and am engaging people with a smile and a sense of selfworth. Just knowing I am winning at poker has made me a more outgoing, happy confident person...I love it!

May the money keep-a-comin!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home