Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Blogging begins

Welcome to my very first post!

After reading other blogs about poker I felt there was no reason why I couldnt post my own for others amusement and education. I may not be a high roller or even semi-pro but I am profitable and feel I can pass on what I do know to anyone who cares to read and take it in.

Let me post a little of my history to set the stage. I was first introduced to poker by my CEO approximately 2 years ago and I knew aboslutely nothing and really was guessing when I played. Being smart though I played freeroll first to get a limited education before investing $50 into Pokerstars. I solely played sng's at the $5+0.50 level and had a super low but positive ROI (return on investment). Then I read a book and my understanding began to bloom. Aahhh, it makes sense now. I got my bankroll up to about to $200 and jumped to the $10+1 sng's and got it up to around $400ish before stagnating and basically giving up through boredom.

Jump ahead about 6 months and I am now working for a new company (still not playing poker) and I saw my old CEO on tv at the final table where he came 5th and made about $90k. WOW. I called him up and after talking my juices got flowing about playing poker again. I started reading everything online and got back into my sng's. I played solid and when my roll got to about $550 I jumped into the $20 sng's. Then when it got to $1000 I jumped into the $30 sng's. Then when it got to $1750 I jumped into the $50 sng's. At its peak I got as high as $2350 and I withdrew $1750 and played with the remaining balance of $600.

But I went on a losing streak and I think quit again when my remaining balance dipped down to around $350. That was probably around Sept. of 2004. and I played the odd game here and there when I was bored before it got down to its lowest at $200 and I really wasnt interested in poker anymore.

Jump forward to Dec. 13th and for some reason the bug to play bit me again, probably due to the fact I was having problems with my girlfriend, which in Dec. was my ex-g/f (still having problems there to this day), so I had more time on my hands. I was bored of the Sng's so I decided I would play NL cash games.

I had a starting balance of $200 and played the $0.25/0.50 NL games and this is my progress in terms of my BR (bankroll) after:

week 1: $400
week 2: $615 ---> week 3 I decided to try the $0.50/$1.00 NL games
week 3: $666
week 4: $525
week 5: $1200
week 6: $1400
week 7: $1525 ---> in week 7 after reading other blogs I decided to try the 3/6 6max limit table and blew $400. By good fortune and good luck I made it back and then some to post a profit at the end of the week playing my usual NL game.

Today is week 7 + 3 days. My weekly roll is counted at the end of play on Sunday and will be posted on Mondays.

I typically play 2 tables with the max buy-in of $100 and play tight after the flop. I see about 25-30% of flops (this includes from the blinds).

My first goal is to get to $2000 and at that point I will jump up to the $1/$2 NL tables. Hopefully with continued growth and I can jump up to even higher tables. I am not about making money super quick but rather making consistent increases with little risk of losing large amounts of my roll. The only times I lose huge pots is to a suckout or a bigger monster to my own.

Let me give you a taste from last nights play. Was one of those nights where everything is going wrong. My KK, QQ, JJ TT(x2) all lost, my draws missed, my bluffs didnt work and I was down $100 before I knew it. The good thing about my game is I can smell when I am behind and slow down the play otherwise I could be down a hell of a lot more. Then this hand came....

I was BB and was dealt Q8spades. EP min. raised with 3 callers and me completing for the extra $1.
Flop Qh 3c 8c -- nice top 2 pair!
SB (big stack) bet out $2 and I raised it $5 more. EP folded, MP called and CO reraised $19 more. SB called and I called and MP SS (shortstack) called for his remaining $1.90.
Turn 8d -- Jackpot!
SB checked, I checked and CO took his time to bet but bet $60, I was surprised that SB called and at this point didnt think anyone would be folding now so called and pushed in my remaining $40. CO called his last $12 and SB completed.
River Td

Showdown:
SB -- had QJo (love these idiots)
Hero -- Q8 for a QQ888 hand
MP -- JTo (idiot SS chasing his gutshot)
CO -- 33 for 33388

Pot was $368 w/ a $3 rake.

Obviously after seeing CO's hand I am glad the other 8 came or the night really could've sucked. That pot is the biggest pot I have won to date and turned a losing night into a $164 profit. So as of Tuesday night I am at $1757. Maybe if the trend continues I can make that $2000 by Sunday! WIsh me luck.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home